Boyne City Water Works
The Boyne City Water Works building near the center of the city was built in 1910 to meet the needs of an expanding population, due to a booming wood products industry at the time. As the water system for the area developed over the next 60 years, the original building was finally taken offline. It stood empty, near the center of commerce, over the next 40 years until city officials faced the decision – tear it down or find a new use for it.
They elected to return the historic structure to its original function – not because the building was a critical piece of infrastructure, but because it was a critical piece of the area’s history. The city secured a grant through the State Historical Preservation Office and a Community Development Block Grant through the Michigan Economic Development Corp., and work began.
A nearby architect drew plans for the renovation, and area contractors completed the work. On July 20, 2010, Lt. Gov. Brian Calley and other state and local officials witnessed the rededication of the Boyne City Water Works building, celebrating its return as a functioning part of the city’s water system. Local pride in the building drew a large crowd to the event, and plans to make a small historical museum inside the front of the building were soon under way.